Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef and Cream of Mushroom Soup makes for a quick and easy one skillet meal any weeknight. Full of flavor and layers, this comfort food dish is going to be a new go-to in your dinner rotation.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you. We also participate in similar programs with RStyle and other companies.
One Skillet Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef
Cornbread and Cornbread Casserole are two of the most infamous cast iron skillet dishes one could make. But what happens when you don’t feel like making more of a mess in the kitchen and yet still have to get the hungry family fed? One skillet meals for the win my friend! Yes, I could have simply made a cheesy, beefy dish with a side of cornbread but there’s something about a one-stop-shop casserole that is just… easier, more inviting, more comforting? I don’t know. Perhaps it’s just the perfect place to hide some extra veggies and cheese. I’m okay with that too.
Ingredients for Beefy Cornbread Casserole
- Ground Beef
- Green Pepper
- Cream of Mushroom
- Shredded Cheese
- Baking Soda
- Sour Cream
How to Make this Ground Beef Casserole with a Cornbread Crust
Step 1: Start by sauteing the ground beef and drain of excess grease. Add in the diced onion, green pepper, and mushrooms. Allow them to sauté for about 5 minutes before adding in the seasonings. Once the vegetables are tender, remove the skillet from the stovetop and stir in a can of condensed Cream of Mushroom soup.
Step 2: Now make the cornbread topping by making standard cornbread. Use the entire recipe if using a 12-inch skillet or larger. This is done by whisking all the dried ingredients together, followed by all the wet ingredients. Whisk well and allow to sit to the side to thicken slightly.
Step 3: Top the beef mixture with shredded cheese, mozzarella or cheddar, and then pour the cornbread batter right on top. It will smooth out on it’s own and you may hear a bit of a sizzle as the batter hits the hot sides of the skillet.
Step 4: Transfer to a hot oven and bake at 450F for 20-25 minutes. Use a knife or a toothpick to ensure the cornbread is cooked all the way through. Allow to sit for just a few minutes on the stovetop so it all firms up and holds together.
Best Beef for Ground Beef Casserole
Typically I go with 80/20 ground beef. Yes there is much more fat, but that also means more flavor! Not only that, but my dad is a butcher at a local grocer and he’s advised that to get the best meat with no secret additives, to always get the 80/20. I don’t know much more than that, but I trust him. If you want to swap out the ground beef for ground chicken, ground turkey, ground venison, or even ground pork you absolutely can.
Why cook the ground beef first?
Cooking the ground beef in the first step will ensure you can strain off the excess grease as well as make sure the ground beef is cooked all the way through. We aren’t using any binder and this isn’t a meatloaf recipe, so we want to make sure it’s cooked completely.
What to serve with beefy casseroles
Being this is a one-skillet meal, you really don’t have to serve anything with it! However, a side salad or extra dose of cooked veggies is always a welcomed addition to hearty meals like this one.
Storage & Reheating Tips
Leftovers can be saved in an air tight container within the fridge for about 5 days. Stored in a freezer safe container that is also air tight, it can be frozen for about 3 months. To reheat in the oven, tent with foil to keep from browning but to keep moisture in, and add it to a 325F oven for about 20-30 minutes if reheating from frozen.
Cornbread Casserole with Ground Beef
Ground Beef Mix
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms diced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10.5 ounces Condensed Cream of Mushroom
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef. Once done cooking, drain any excess grease. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced onions, peppers, and mushrooms to the skillet back over medium heat. Sauté for 5 minutes before adding the seasonings. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes before adding the condensed cream of mushroom.
- While the meat and vegetables are cooking, whisk together the dry ingredients for the cornbread topping in a large bowl. Then add the wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Once the condensed cream of mushroom has been stirred in, turn off the heat on the stove. Evenly spread the shredded cheese on top before pouring the cornbread batter over the entire mixture. Sizzling on the edges may occur.
- Place into the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the cornbread is cooked all the way through as tested with a toothpick or knife. Serve and enjoy!