This post may contain affiliate links. We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you.
Ground Turkey Meatloaf is ramped up and cooked to perfection with a sticky, spicy ketchup glaze. Cooked low and slow with oats and dried spices, this turkey meatloaf is full of flavor and the perfect substitute to your typical meatloaf recipe.
In this post you’ll find…
What to cook meatloaf in?
Meatloaf originally was cooked into a loaf form – hence the name. Much like my Basic Meatloaf recipe, you can cook this ground turkey meatloaf in a loaf pan. However, knowing that many readers do not have access to a loaf pan, this one requires only a simple 8-inch skillet per 1 1/2 – 2 pounds of ground turkey.
How to make ground turkey meatloaf
One reason I love this recipe is for the simplicity of it all.
Step 1: Mix all your meatloaf ingredients into a large bowl.
Step 2: Press and form your meatloaf into the skillet.
Step 3: Make your spicy ketchup glaze and spread evenly over the top of the unbaked meatloaf.
Step 4: Bake in a 325F oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh or dried parsley and serve.
How to make a meatloaf glaze
Meatloaf glaze is mostly ketchup. This spicy ketchup glaze requires 1 cup of ketchup, 1 Tablespoon Worchestire sauce, and 2 teaspoons (or more) of Cholula. The trick to creating a sticky glaze that keeps the ground turkey moist is layering it on thickly before baking. In this way, it acts as a protective layer similar to that of tin foil.
Tips for making turkey meatloaf
Be aware of the internal temperature. Cook to an internal temperature of 160F. If when you check the meatloaf it is at 155F, pull it out and cover it with tinfoil. In doing this it will continue to cook while in the skillet. Leaving it in the oven too long, you risk drying it out. This is my favorite quick read thermometer.
Use what you have for the binder. Use whatever oats you have around. Here I used whole oats. You can also use instant oats, rolled oats, and even saltine crackers if you’re out of oats! If you are making a meatloaf that is 2 pounds, you will need 1/2 cup of binder compared to the 1/4 in your 1 1/2 pound meatloaf.
What to serve with Ground Turkey Meatloaf?
Ground Turkey Meatloaf with Spicy Ketchup Glaze
- medium mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- cheese grater
- 8 inch cast iron skillet (or loaf pan)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey 93%, up to 2 pounds
- 1/2 yellow onion grated into a small bowl
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne optional
- 1/4-1/2 cup oats whole or rolled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Spicy Ketchup Glaze
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Worchestire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Cholula or your favorite hot sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 325F. Grate the onion into a small bowl to catch all the juices and pieces of onion.
- Combine all meatloaf ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and mix until combined with a rubber spatula or your hands.
- Transfer to an 8-inch skillet and press evenly to edges.
- Combine glaze ingredients into a small bowl and whisk thoroughly. Spread evenly on top of the meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes uncovered or until internal temperature reaches 165F.