This post may contain affiliate links. We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you.
Egg Roll in a Bowl is a mouth-wateringly delicious and unique dish! Perfect for dinner or snack, this tasty meal comes together quickly and combines flavors in the most amazing way. It is made in one skillet with just ground pork, coleslaw mix, without egg, and few other Asian ingredients.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you. We also participate in similar programs with RStyle and other companies.
Why We Love Egg Roll in a Bowl
This Egg Roll in a Bowl has all of the flavors of everyone’s favorite Chinese takeout appetizer made into a meal. It’s loaded with ground sausage, crisp-tender veggies, and the perfect sweet, salty, spicy sauce. And the best part – there’s no egg involved! Though not traditional egg rolls, these savory bowls satisfy any egg roll craving without all of the work. So skip the egg roll wrapper next time and enjoy an Egg Roll in a Bowl instead – you won’t be disappointed! This recipe is ready in a total of 15 minutes and comes together in just one pan.
Why is it called Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Egg Roll in a bowl is all the ingredients of traditional egg roll filling, but in a bowl. That means no fuss with wrapping or deep frying. You get all of the delicious flavors and textures of the classic appetizer, just without having to actually assemble any egg rolls.
Ingredients you’ll need for an Egg Roll Bowl
See the recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Sausage: Use sweet or hot ground sausage. Either one works!
- Onion: Be sure to dice the onion small so it incorporates well into the filling. You don’t want big chunks of onion in any bite.
- Sesame Oil: The sesame oil adds a subtle nutty taste to the filling. A little goes a long way!
- Garlic and Ginger: I recommend freshly minced garlic and freshly grated ginger for the best flavor.
- Soy Sauce: The perfect salty base for our egg roll filling marinade.
- Sriracha: I use 1 tablespoon, but feel free to add more or less depending on your spice tolerance.
- Coleslaw Mix: Most coleslaw mixes come with dressing. You can use it for something else or just discard it. We won’t need it for this recipe.
- Optional Garnishes: I like to finish my egg roll bowl off with a sprinkle of crushed cashews and sliced green onion.
Can I use another type of meat?
Totally! The ground pork sausage is a classic, but feel free to swap it out for ground beef, chicken, or turkey if preferred.
Can I make these vegetarian?
Definitely! You can easily make this recipe vegetarian by leaving out the meat. If you want to fill it out a bit, here are a couple ideas:
- More veggies: Mix in edamame, sliced mushrooms, diced bell pepper, or even chopped broccoli florets.
- Plant-based protein: Use a plant-based meat or tofu.
Do egg rolls have egg in them?
Actually, no. They get their name from the wrapper which sometimes contains egg. The filling itself doesn’t have egg at all. But if you do want to add egg to your bowl, feel free. It’s another great way to fill it out even more.
How to Make an Egg Roll Bowl with Coleslaw Mix
Since we’re making our egg roll bowl with coleslaw mix, it comes together so quickly!
Bonus: it’s made in just one pan for the easiest cleanup!
- Add the ground sausage to a skillet and cook over medium heat. Add the onion and continue to cook until the sausage is browned.
- Remove the sausage and onion and set aside, then add in sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Turn the skillet off, then add the remaining sauce ingredients and sausage back to the skillet. Stir to coat, then serve topped with garnishes.
Watch the Video
Tips and notes
Don’t want to use coleslaw mix? You can totally shred your own carrots and cabbage instead. Just be sure you’re getting about 14 ounces.
If you like a little extra spice, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes in with the garlic and ginger.
Looking for that classic fried crunch? Top your bowl off with wonton strips.
How to store an Egg Roll Bowl
This egg roll bowl is best served immediately, but if you do have leftovers, they will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, warm on low on the stove or in the microwave. Keep in mind the texture of the veggies will be softer and less fresh.
What to serve with an Egg Roll in a Bowl
This bowl makes an excellent entree or appetizer. It’s great as-is or topped with peanut sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
If you’re serving it as an entree, it’s delicious on its own or you can serve it with a side of rice, roasted veggies, or a simple salad.
If you’re serving it as an appetizer, it’s great served with fried wontons. Follow it up with lo mein, fried rice, or your favorite Chinese entree!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound sweet ground sausage or hot for spice
- 1 white onion diced medium
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha
- 14 ounces coleslaw mix dressing discarded
- 1/4 cup crushed cashews optional
- 1/4 cup green onion optional
- To a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground sausage. At about the halfway mark, add the onions.
- Remove sausage and onion from skillet and set to the side. Add the sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Sauté one minute.
- Turn the skillet off and add the soy sauce, sriracha, coleslaw mix, and pork back to the skillet. Stir well to coat and combined.
- Serve and top with cashews or green onions as desired.