Jalapeno Popper Chicken breast in a cast iron skillet is easy, cheesy, and delicious for any quick weeknight meal – especially those eating low-carb or keto. Topped with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, and bacon – what’s not to love!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken
I shared this Jalapeno Popper Chicken photo in our cast iron Facebook group, and you all went crazy! I got so many comments and messages asking for a recipe. So, here it is! It’s a really easy and quick recipe, which I love. And if you’re someone who loves the taste of jalapeno poppers but hates the process of stuffing them, then this recipe is for you!
How to make Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Step 1: Get your seasonings ready and preheat your oven to 350F. In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Your cream cheese should be room temperature and soft for easy spreading. In a small bowl mix together the spices for seasoning your chicken. Season your chicken on all sides before searing.
Step 2: Cook the 2-4 pieces of bacon in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. This will start seasoning your skillet and provide the fat to sear your chicken in. Remove from the skillet to a paper towel lined plate and allow the excess grease to drain from the cooked bacon. Keep 1-2 Tablespoons of bacon grease in the skillet.
Step 3: Add the chicken to the skillet and sear on both sides for about 3 minutes. While searing the second side of the chicken, add a thick layer of the cream cheese mixture to the top of the chicken. Add slices of fresh jalapeno to the top.
Step 4: Bake and finish with bacon and cheese. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F by an instant-read thermometer. Top with additional cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, and cilantro.
How to handle the heat
Jalapenos themselves are not overly spicy. The heat comes from the seeds within them. By slicing and removing the seeds and membranes of a jalapeno, you substantially limit the amount of heat. If you like it hot – leave the seeds.
You can use canned jalapenos for this dish. Simply drain the liquid from the can and chop the jalapenos into bite sized pieces. Then use a rubber spatula to mix the jalapenos into the cream cheese mixture. The taste will be a bit more subtle, and yet well incorporated by mixing into the cream cheese.
What makes jalapeno popper chicken low-carb or keto?
This dish uses high-quality fats such as those found in bacon and cheese. While the melting of the cheese can get crispy like a breading, there are only 3 net carbs in each serving and no actual bread or gluten.
What to serve with this chicken skillet dish
If you’re loving this dish for all the low-carb reasons, then be sure to dish up next to a fresh salad or even better – avocado fries. If you’re serving this chicken skillet meal with no need to watch the carbs, then cornbread or onion rings will be the perfect pairing!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- 10-inch cast iron skillet
- measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- 3 strips bacon
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breasts 2 breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 jalapenos sliced*
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Meanwhile, on a medium burner, heat the 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Cook 3 strips of bacon. When done, remove the bacon from the skillet to a papertowel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- While the bacon is cooking, mix your dry seasonings together and season all sides of the chicken breast. One the bacon is done cooking, with 1-2 Tablespoons of bacon grease left in the skillet, add the chicken to sear on the top and bottom. This should take 3 minutes on each side.
- While the second side of the chicken is searing, mix the softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl. Use a spoon to layer the cream cheese onto the top of the chicken breast and shut off the stovetop.
- Using gloves and a sharp knife, cut your jalapenos into circle strips. Remove the seeds if need be for less heat. Top the cream cheese with slices of the jalapenos.
- Bake the skillet in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Top with more shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, and/or cilantro. Each chicken breast can serve 2 people generally speaking.