This post may contain affiliate links. We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you.
This Hamburger Rotel Cheese Dip is the perfect game day appetizer! It’s made with melty Velveeta cheese loaded up with tender ground beef, pepper and onion, and Rotel tomatoes with jalapeño. One skillet and just 15 minutes!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you. We also participate in similar programs with RStyle and other companies.
If there’s anything I look for when it comes to appetizers for a crowd or party, it’s ease. The more simple the better! This Hamburger Rotel Cheese Dip is just that: simple and easy! But that doesn’t mean it’s lacking in flavor.
This 15 minute recipe is made using just 5 ingredients, comes together in a single skillet, and will be a hit at your next super bowl party (or any party for that matter)!
What is Rotel Dip made of?
- Ground Beef – I recommend 90/10 for this recipe.
- Rotel with Jalapeños – You can also use Rotel with Green Chiles if preferred.
- Veggies – We’re adding texture to our cheesy dip with a mixture of diced yellow onion and diced bell pepper.
- Velveeta Cheese – I recommend dicing the cheese into cubes so it melts more quickly.
How to make Velveeta Cheese Dip
This mouthwatering Velveeta cheese dip comes together in just one pan! Here’s a simple summary of the recipe. Check out the recipe card below for ingredient amounts and full instructions!
- Start by cooking the ground beef, diced veggies, and Rotel all together in a cast-iron skillet. Sauté everything over medium heat until the veggies are softened and the beef is browned.
- Next, add the chopped Velveeta into the skillet and stir until the cheese is melted.
And that’s it. So easy!
Are you supposed to drain Rotel?
Nope! The liquid in the can of Rotel can be incorporated right into the dip. Not only does that make your life that much easier, but it also adds more flavor and thins the cheese to make a creamier dip.
How do you keep Velveeta cheese dip creamy?
Here are a couple of tips for making sure your dip stays nice and creamy:
- Cook on lower heat. Low to medium heat allows the cheese to melt more slowly so it’s less likely to clump up.
- Stir constantly. Stirring the whole time as the cheese melts keeps it smooth. If it cooks too long without being stirred, it will clump.
- Serve warm. Velveeta cheese dip naturally will thicken and harden as it cools. For the best texture, serve it warm!
Tips and variations
Drain the grease. If the meat is a little too oily when you cook it, I recommend draining some of that out. We don’t want a greasy dip! You don’t have to worry about that with lean beef, but if you’re using 80/20 you’ll want to cook the beef by itself first, drain, and then add the veggies.
If your cheese dip seems too thick, simply add a splash of milk to thin it out.
Use another meat. Although it won’t be “hamburger dip” anymore, you can absolutely swap the beef out for ground turkey or chicken, sausage, or even chorizo for a spicier option.
Spice it up. If you like a little extra heat in your Rotel dip, feel free to add a sprinkle of taco seasoning, a drizzle of hot sauce, or a couple spoonfuls of salsa.
How to store
Leftover hamburger cheese dip will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To enjoy again, thaw in the fridge if frozen, then warm on low on the stove or in the microwave until heated all the way through.
What to serve with Velveeta Rotel Dip
I love to serve this Velveeta Rotel dip topped off with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
Here are a few of my favorite things to use for dipping:
- Tortilla chips
- Fresh veggies
- French fries
More easy game day appetizers
Serve this dip at your super bowl party with a whole spread of delicious appetizers! Here are a few more ideas:
Hamburger Rotel Cheese Dip
- 10 inche Cast Iron Skillet
- wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- 1 pound ground beef 90/10
- 10 ounces Rotel with jalapenos (green chiles) with liquid
- 1 small yellow onion diced small
- 1 bell pepper diced small
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese dices
- Add the ground beef, vegetables, and Rotel to a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Saute and cook until the beef is fully brown and the vegetable are tender. About 5-10 minutes.
- Add the chopped Velveeta to the skillet and stir until fully melted and combined. About 5 minutes.
- Top with sour cream or cilantro, and serve with chips.