Cranberry Orange Bread
Cranberry Orange Bread made in cast iron is a fresh flavored bread, perfect for holidays or as a delicious breakfast bread to start the day off citrusy and fresh. Fruit and bread were made to go together!
Cranberry Orange Bread is one of those unexpected pops of flavor your family will love. This dessert like bread is easy to make and pairs well with orange marmalade or a sweet glaze.
CAST IRON Cranberry Orange Bread
This bread is a family favorite for so many reasons. We often bring this bread into holiday celebrations, which carries along some warm fuzzy feelings and memories.
It doesn’t change the flavor, but it somehow enhances it with those memories in play. That doesn’t mean this bread needs to be exclusive to the holidays.
It’s easy to make all year round and brings a freshness to snack time or breakfast that can’t be beat. Personally, we can’t image breakfast without a fresh, citrus-y kick to start the day.
SAVORING THE BEST Cranberry Orange Bread
How to store cranberry orange bread
This bread is the perfect blend of sweet and moist, which means you’ll want to store in an airtight container for optimal longevity. You also can cover with foil or plastic wrap, or if you prefer you can put in a plastic bag to help keep the bread moist.
At room temperature, your bread will last 2-3 days. But if you really want to get some mileage out of it, store your cranberry orange bread in the refrigerator for up to a week.
CAN CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD BE FROZEN?
Your cranberry orange bread can absolutely be frozen to savor for later! The tricky part is, you want to keep your bread moist. However, you do not want a ton of ice crystals to form.
The trick to this is to wrap your coolest bread tightly with plastic wrap (or aluminum foil) and then place in a heavy duty freezer bag. To thaw, simply allow your bread to thaw in the refrigerator and enjoy!
How to make Cranberry Orange Bread
What kind of cast iron do you need for cranberry orange bread? A cast iron bread pan will do the trick. The other major equipment you’ll need is a stand mixer. Beyond that, you’ll need flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, slivered almonds, fresh cranberries, an orange (for the magical zest!), fresh squeezed orange juice, an egg and a little vegetable oil.
For our fabulous glaze, you’ll need powdered sugar and whole milk or heavy whipping cream. (We lean toward heavy whipping cream for the decadence factor.)
Preheat your oven to 350F and prepare using the instructions below, baking for 40 minutes. Pro tip: Make sure to grease your cast iron well, this helps keep the bread from sticking to the pan and assures the cast iron can do its magic.
Also, don’t forget to check out our homemade white bread, also utilizing a cast iron loaf pan.
CHOOSING CAST IRON
As we mentioned above, a loaf pan is key to this recipe. Not all cast iron is created equally and we definitely have our favorites. We recommend this cast iron bread pan as it never fails to bake a perfectly crisp edge but moist bread.
It’s also important to take good care of your cast iron. It’s pretty easy with some basic maintenance, but keep your pan in good condition by properly seasoning/oiling. This is one of the biggest steps you can take to keep your pan in tip-top shape.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH your BREAD
Looking for a way to bring it all together for a full meal plan? This section found in every post will help you pair the recipe you’re viewing, with other flavorful dishes to make your mealtime that much easier. Enjoy this section of posts? Leave a comment below and let me know!
- Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha Cinnamon Buns – This incarnation of cinnamon buns meets White Mocha Latte is heavenly.
- Keto Blueberry Scones – These nuggets of blueberry goodness are a nice balance to cranberry orange!
- Bacon Cheddar Egg Salad Sandwiches – These would be a savory balance to our sweet breakfast-worthy cranberry orange bread.
Cranberry Orange Bread
- cast iron bread loaf pan
- stand mixer
- large bowl
- wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 zest orange
- 1 egg
- 3-4 freshly squeezed oranges substitute 3/4 cup store bought orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk or heavy whipping cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and center the rack.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Combine egg, orange juice, orange zest, and vegetable oil in a medium bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir.
- Fold in cranberries and almonds.
- Pour batter into greased cast iron loaf pan. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from loaf pan and rest on a wire rack.
- Optional: for a dessert, bread combine milk and powdered sugar to create a glaze.