Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal is the perfect easy breakfast recipe that can easily be prepared ahead of time. With endless flavor combinations, this will quickly become a new family favorite. Top with a drizzle of caramel sauce for the ultimate fall comfort food.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you. We also participate in similar programs with RStyle and other companies.
Homemade Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
My kids are probably the pickiest kids when it comes to breakfast foods. They all have their own little quirks and desires. It’s really a repeat of food day in and day out as far as their breakfast. But one of my desires is to create breakfast spreads that we can all enjoy without having to make 7 different things in the morning. Thankfully, this Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal is an easy option that all the kids can get behind. It’s not cooingly sweet, nor are we getting loaded with preservatives from the store-bought stuff. Instead they’re getting energy for the day from gluten-free oats, fresh fruit, and sugar replacements like honey.
This breakfast is easy to make ahead, quick to bake, and filling for everyone! Meaning this is a great brunch recipe as well. You may even find that everyone is fuller longer so snack time isn’t at the forefront of your to-do list right after breakfast.
What is Baked Oatmeal?
Baked oatmeal is a warm breakfast casserole that uses only a handful of staple kitchen ingredients to create a bread pudding-like dish that is chewy, soft, and creamy on the inside and crunchy with texture on top. Baked oatmeal can easily be customized with whatever add-ins you have on hand, from fresh or frozen berries to chocolate chips. One of the best things about baked oatmeal is just how fast and simple it is to make. With just 5 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of baking, you can prep this in the morning the same time as your coffee.
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Ingredients
How to Make Baked Oatmeal
Start by mixing together the oil, sugars, and eggs in a large bowl. To it add the remaining ingredients. Pour into a well greased skillet and bake covered with tinfoil for 20 minutes, removing the tinfoil for the last 10 minutes.
Let the oatmeal sit for 10 minutes before serving, and then serve in a bowl with milk, drizzled with caramel sauce, honey, or maple syrup.
Join the e-mail Newsletter to receive a free ebook!
Subscribe to have posts delivered straight to your inbox!! PLUS get our FREE ebook and be the first to know about deals and recipes!
Making this the night before? Combine all ingredients and cover with plastic wrap before placing the bowl in the refrigerator over night. In the morning scoop the contents into a skillet and cover with tinfoil. You may find the baking time is less with this method as most of the liquid is already absorbed by the oats. Check the breakfast casserole at 15 minutes and each 5 minutes after until your desired doneness is reached. Look for the edges to be crisping.
This baked oatmeal can be made at the beginning of the week, and covered with plastic wrap or scooped into an air-tight container and kept in the refrigerator for about 4 days. To reheat, just scoop into a bowl and microwave until warm.
Customizations of Baked Oatmeal
This dish can be customized in so many different ways to please everyone!
- Milk: You can use any kind of milk in this recipe from whole milk, to soy or almond milk to make this dish dairy-free.
- Add-ins: There are endless flavor combinations you can make with this dish, from classic maple and brown sugar, to chocolate peanut butter, to mixed berry oatmeal. Throw in some chocolate chips, walnuts, or raisins for more texture variation.
- Serving: To serve baked oatmeal, pour milk of your choice over the warm oatmeal, and then top with maple syrup, honey, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream. Adding a warm fruit sauce, like blueberry or strawberry would also be a delicious option.
What to Serve with Baked Oatmeal
If you’re going for a brunch style meat, adding leftover ham to the mix is always a delicious idea. If breakfast is more your style then you’ll want to add a variety of fresh fruit and yogurt to the mix.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – so make sure it’s something good!
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmel
- 1/2 cup oil vegetable or coconut
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole oats uncooked
- 1 cup milk
- 1 granny smith apple diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional for topping
- 1 Tablespoon caramel sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl combine the oil, sugars, and eggs. Whisk well.
- To the same bowl add the remaining ingredients and combine until all the oats are fully coated.
- Transfer to a well-greased #10 cast iron skillet. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered with tinfoil. Remove tinfoil and bake an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy with caramel sauce, milk, whipped cream, etc.
Hello! Can this recipe be made with a sugar alternative like honey or maple syrup? If so, how much would I use?
Yes, I would say maple syrup would be your best bet just give the mass of the recipe and I would start with 1/2 cup. You can always add more as a topping if desired.